Immigration, Asylum & Nationality
Shazia practices Immigration, Asylum & Nationality.
Prior to joining Chambers in January 2008, she worked as an Immigration Counsellor with the Immigration Advisory Service in Leeds where she regularly presented immigration and asylum appeals before the Tribunal. She also worked for the Refugee Legal Centre in Leeds as an Appeals Caseworker. Following this, Shazia qualified as a barrister with No.6 Chambers in Leeds and continued her work in the Tribunal whilst also developing her practice in the High Court and the Court of Appeal.
She has experience of dealing with cases in the tribunal, the High Court and the Court of Appeal. She presents appeals at first instance and reconsideration stage, has experience of judicial review work and is willing to draft grounds for reconsideration to the Tribunal. She also has experience of applying for emergency injunctions to duty High Court Judges over the telephone and has drafted grounds and appeared in cases in the Court of Appeal.
- Adetola, R (on the Application of) v First Tier Tribunal (Immigration and Asylum Chamber) & Anor  EWHC 3197 (Admin) : Immigration. Ms Shazia Khan instructed by Immigration Advisory Service for the Claimant. (http://bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/Admin/2010/3197.html
- TE (Eritrea) v Secretary of State for the Home Department  EWCA Civ 174 : Immigration. Reported case: TE v Secretary of State for the Home Department  EWCA Civ 811 (14 July 2011)
- R (on the Application of) Samandari v Secretary of State for the Home Department  All ER (D) 122 (May) : Immigration
- Mukarkar v Secretary of State for the Home Department  EWCA Civ 1182 : Court of Appeal case. Immigration. CA case on Article 8.
- SO and SO (Khad - members & family) Afghanistan CG  UKAIT 00003 : Immigration
- AS (Kirundi/Buyenzi - "country expert" evidence) Burundi  UKAIT 00172 : Immigration
- Marara (Innocent) v Secretary of State for the Home Department  EWCA Civ 1017 : Court of Appeal case. Immigration. Permission application on fresh evidence.
- Mukasa (Alex) v Secretary of State for the Home Department  EWHC 111 : Immigration. Judicial Review application on the Dublin Convention and Article 8.