Bruce has extensive knowledge of representing Claimants in all areas of employment law, with particular emphasis on discrimination cases, including equal pay, and TUPE. He has acted in large cases with multiple Claimants securing six-figure awards. He has also represented trade unions as Respondents as well as previously acting for several local and national firms, schools and local authorities.
Bruce has also volunteered as a pro bono legal adviser at a local Law Centre for the past 12 years.
Bruce is extremely good with my clients, he easily sees things from their point of view and uses words that people understand. He puts clients at ease and they are always happy to have the opportunity to sit down and talk things through with him. I am delighted at the service Bruce has given in some complex cases, getting to grips with huge amounts of information in record time and producing straightforward Opinions which contain just the right amount of information and analysis for digestion by myself and my lay clients. My colleagues have said the same about training Bruce has delivered (and that he is not one of those who likes the sound of his own voice!). Bruce goes the extra mile, preparing a suggested order for the Tribunal on a disclosure application, for example, and on the occasions Bruce is not available for a hearing I generally try and get my case pencilled in, just in case. - Sharon Wardale, Slater & Gordon
- Birtenshaw v Oldfield (2019) succeeded in a claim for disability discrimination pursuant to s.15 of the Equality Act 2010 in Manchester Employment Tribunal when a prospective employer withdrew a job offer to a disabled applicant as a consequence of her disability. Case Report.
- Kaley Sweetman v Fordent Properties Limited (2017) - Successful whistleblowing claim for care worker sacked for reporting the home to Care Quality Commission. Press Coverage.
- Akinola v Kids Company (2016) - Information and consultation claim arising out of the liquidation of Kids Co - the charity which was in the news in 2015 when the government cancelled a grant for £3M.
- Chadderton v GMW & Arch Initiatives (2015) - Represented 7 Claimants at an ET hearing application of TUPE to a service provision change when an NHS Trust transferred activities to a charity. Case resulted in an appeal to EAT reported as Arch Initiatives v Greater Manchester West Mental Health Foundation Trust & others at (2016) ICR 607. Case Report
- Lindop and Houldin (2015) - Disability discrimination ET claim and a five figure sum awarded for Trade union discrimination and victimisation
- Walker v West Cumbria Care and Support [2015} ET 2406340/2015 reported by the MOJ. Case Report
- Legge v Prestige Homecare Ltd.  ET/2401324/14 reported in Practical Law - successfully secured reimbursement of issue fee paid by a trade union. Case Report
- Network Rail v Mockler  All ER (D) 203 - successfully represented Respondent to appeal against unfair dismissal dealing with range of reasonable responses test and contributory fault. Case Report
- Lawrence v Prison Service  IRLR 468 - successfully represented Appellant in appeal to EAT on statutory grievance procedure in discrimination dismissals. Case Report
ELA (Employment Lawyers Association)