Bill worked as a prosecutor of serious crime for 25 years, including 5 years as a Crown Advocate. Prior to becoming a Crown Advocate, Bill was Divisional Crown Prosecutor for Bolton/Wigan branch of CPS Greater Manchester, with overall responsibility for all casework as well as a substantial personal caseload of the most serious cases.
Bill has experience both of prosecuting and defending fraud and POCA in cases involving:
• "Crash for Cash"
• Phantom Road Traffic Accidents
• NHS Fraud
• Conventional Dishonesty Offences
His experience in prosecuting and defending rape involving male and female victims as well as other sexual offences; in particular as a member of the DPP's working party on internet sexual grooming and exploitation, Bill has a long-standing experience of the use of the internet in the abuse of children.
Many years' active involvement in the prosecution of large scale cases of drugs supply/conspiracy have led to a familiarity with the evidential processes involved. Operation Waddington and Operation Redbud were challenging cases involving multi-defendant indictments for drugs, firearms and proceeds of crime. That experience can now be brought to bear for defendants.
• R v Otoo & Others (Operation Rosebud) : Successful prosecution of over 40 defendants and over 200 offences of Class A Drugs Supply, Robbery and Burglary from pre-charge to conviction at the Crown Court. Operation Rosebud was a major covert intelligence-led and targeted operation across South Manchester. Awarded Chief Superintendent's Commendation.
• R v Webb & Others (Operation Waddington)
• R v McNulty & Others (Operation Ore)
• R v Miah : Successful prosecution for offences of possession of ammunition
• R v Waheed & Others : Successful prosecution of robbery based upon expert evidence on the impact of a single blood spot
• R v McNulty & Others : Successful prosecution of, amongst others, a Police Officer for making and possessing images of child internet abuse. This involved international evidence gathering and cross-border enforcement
• R v Cristiano Ronaldo : Speeding/failing to conform to a traffic signal. Represented by notable solicitors, convicted.
• R v Roque Santa Cruz : Section 172 Notice/speeding, convicted
• Member of National CPS/Police Working Group on prosecution of child internet abuse, co-ordination of evidence gathering and expert evidence.
• Former National Trainer for CPS on Road Traffic Law