Stephen is regularly instructed to represent defendants in serious criminal cases in the Crown Courts. Called to the Bar in 2010, Stephen has represented individuals and companies in relation to allegations of serious criminal or professional misconduct. His experience includes high value drugs cases, POCA proceedings, violent offences, sexual offences and fraud. He also appears for clients on conviction and sentence appeals. Stephen is regularly instructed in complex cases involving large amounts of documentary evidence and has appeared in a number of trials of a sensitive nature.
He draws upon his expertise in Immigration and Employment Law and is often instructed for particular expertise in the immigration aspects of serious criminal cases. Stephen is regularly instructed in cases involving business crime and fraud. His experience of defending cases in particular has made him adept when dealing with large scale drug conspiracies and POCA proceedings. Stephen has had consistent success in challenging the amounts owed by clients in confiscation proceedings.
Stephen has developed his criminal practice with particular emphasis on vulnerable defendants who have mental health problems. Solicitors praise Stephen's industrious, calm and persuasive style. In particular, Stephen has been noted for the strength of his legal argument in complex cases.
• R v Henry: Multi-handed murder trial at Manchester Crown Square Press Coverage.
• R v N: Secured Acquittal for man accused of possessing an imitation firearm with intent to cause fear or violence, after incident with police officer.
• R v Preston: Multi-handed trial at Nottingham Crown Court for possession of an imitation firearm, following man aiming an imitation hand gun at crowd. Press Coverage.
• R v Akhtar: Month trial at Stafford Crown Court, 8 defendants from feuding families charged with violent disorder. Press Coverage.
• R v M: Historic Sexual Abuse Trial, defending former Karate Teacher of 15 counts of sexual assaults on young boys.
• R v Said: Conspiracy Trial, defending shop manager accused of selling counterfeit cigarettes that posed fire hazard in homes. Press Coverage.
• R v Mkanda: Defending 19-year-old of Grievous Bodily Harm (s18) charge. Press Coverage.
• R v Smith: Accquittal against allegation of large-scale cultivation of cannabis
• R v Rasid & Others: Successful defence against allegation of supply of large amounts of cocaine and heroin
• R v Darbyshire: Successful defence against allegations of serious assault
• R v Patel: Successful defence in POCA proceedings. Reduced proceeds confiscated by a very substantial amount
• R v Schiavo: Successful defence in POCA proceedings. Reduced proceeds confiscated by a very substantial amount.
• R v Roache: Stalking case. Appealed sentence and achieved significant reduction.