Sarah has a primary interest in criminal law which arose from several years' experience of voluntary work with young offenders. Sarah has appeared in the Crown Court and Magistrates' Court and is a Category 2 Prosecutor. Following her pupillage, she is keen to further develop a successful criminal practice.
Sarah accepts instructions in the following matters:
- Business and Regulatory Crime
- Drug offences
- Criminal Appeals
- General Criminal Matters
- Motoring Offences
- Violent Offences
- Public Order, including defending protestors and activists
Cases of Note:
- R v O, 2020: Successfully defended client of initial attempted murder charge and other serious offences at Manchester Crown Square. Sentence resulted in hospital order. Press Coverage.
- R v M and others, 2018: Secures Acquittal for Anti-Fracking Protestor at York Magistrates Court. Read more
- R v B and others, 2018: Defended 6 of 8 Anti-fracking campaigners; all charged with s.137 obstruction of the highway and s.241 Trade Union Act, the latter carrying the risk of a custodial sentence. Sarah cross-examined the Managing Director of the Fracking company who gave evidence in the trial.
- R v C and others, 2018: Defended 4 of 9 Anti-fracking campaigners charged with an offence under the Trade Union Act; namely hindering employees of Cuadrilla from working and faced the possibility of a custodial sentence. Press Coverage
- R v B and others, 2017: Defended 3 of 12 anti-fracking protestors in a week-long trial at Blackpool Magistrates Court. All 12 were charged with s.137 Highways Act 1980 and s.241 Trade Union and Labour Relations (Consolidation) Act 1992. They were acquitted of the s.241 offence and received a conditional discharge for the s.137.
- R v B, 2017: Successfully defended a woman charged with 78 fraudulent credit card transactions
- R v P&R 2017: Successfully prosecuted 2 defendants, both charged with attacking a man and a woman in a pub in Marple.
"I must say that I am very impressed with Sarah's client care skills and the ability she has to put clients at ease and build their trust. Her manner is perfect for Criminal Defence work. In terms of other personal characteristics that I have noticed, I like her tenacity and spunk. The best interests of the clients are certainly at the forefront of her mind when she is defending them and I have had two great results following her instruction. I am keen to continue instructing Sarah and will do so on more pressing cases as well as Appeals from now on. All in all, I am very impressed indeed!" - Instructing Solicitor