Costs & Litigation Funding
John regularly appears in costs matters from CCMCs and applications through to multiple day detailed assessments. He has appeared frequently before Masters of the Senior Court Costs Office and Regional Costs Judges.
With almost 10 years' experience in a solicitors' environment, he understands the importance of providing practical and commercially focused advice.
John is able to handle a full range of costs matters but has particular specialism in litigation funding (including broken retainers), fixed costs challenges, conduct issues, the application of the indemnity principle, proportionality challenges, procedural points of law and solicitor and client assessments.
John has developed a busy solicitor and own client practice with a particular focus on assisting solicitor's firms faced with challenges from former clients. He is able to provide advice on all aspects of these challenges.
- Successfully representing the receiving party at a preliminary issues hearing concerning whether fixed costs applied to claims falling within the Montreal Convention, the first such decision before a Regional Costs Judge (McKendry v British Airways PLC)
- Representing a receiving party at a multiple day detailed assessment at the Senior Court Costs Office. Successfully arguing that there was no good reason to depart from the costs budget, leading to the receiving party beating its own Part 36 offer.
- Advising a client as to the recoverable costs in a claim in which jurisdiction and applicable law were in dispute.
- Representing a paying party at detailed assessment arising out of a commercial claim. John successfully obtained a reduction to the Bill of Costs on the grounds of proportionality.
- Resisting an application to set aside a default costs brought by a litigant in person pursuant to CPR r 47.12.
- Successfully representing a paying party at detailed assessment arising out of a claim for professional negligence. John obtained an order striking out the Bill of Costs on conduct grounds.
- Advising a client on the interplay between CPR r 36.13 and CPR r 36.20 and the relationship between detailed assessment and fixed costs.
- Successfully recovering a large bespoke ATE premium on behalf of a receiving party and an award of detailed assessment costs on the indemnity basis.
- Attending a costs budgeting hearing on behalf of a receiving party in a high value clinical negligence matter in which the Bill of Costs totalled just below £1 million pounds.
- Successfully representing a client at an application hearing before a High Court Master arising out a clinical negligence claim. John successfully obtained an order for costs on behalf of his client worth in excess of £50,000.