Michael is an experienced personal injury practitioner and current Head of the Personal Injury Group in Chambers. He acts for both Defendants and Claimants, with appellate experience including some experience of bringing cases to the Court of Appeal. He is known for his exacting high standards of service to solicitors, as well as his willingness to discuss cases with solicitors informally prior to formal instructions.
He is regularly and increasingly instructed in complex and large value claims for both Defendants and Claimants, particularly including:
• Catastrophic and life changing injuries, including head & brain injuries, polytrauma, amputation
• Chronic pain disorders, particularly those with a psychiatric element
• Serious and debilitating psychiatric injury
• Serious shoulder, knee, ankle and foot injuries
Previous and current cases include:
• Junior counsel in a catastrophic polytrauma claim involving elective upper limb amputation and provision of cutting-edge prosthetic solution (the LUKE arm)
• A 75-year-old woman who lost her left leg above the knee in a bus crash
• A prison psychiatric nurse who developed severe PTSD after being exposed to the scenes of two graphic inmate suicides at work
• A paramedic who developed a significant somatoform disorder following a minor hand injury
• For the First Defendant in a six-figure claim for shoulder injuries involving complex questions of causation and clinical negligence in the Claimant's treatment
• A couple run down by a taxi whilst crossing the road, leading to polytrauma to both
• A pedestrian struck by a car that mounted the footpath causing life changing injury
• A motorcyclist sustaining spinal fractures and going onto failed back surgery syndrome
Michael has a particular reputation with his professional clients for his quick mastery of complex matters of medical causation, and in dealing with experts and their evidence in cases of complex and competing but for causation, notably in psychiatric and pain disorder cases. He is frequently instructed in cases with difficult procedural backgrounds that have made otherwise straightforward cases tricky, tactical battles.