Top Ranked in Legal 500 2019 - 2021:
Gita Patel is recommended in the Legal 500 for her Immigration practice, ‘Gita is a highly experienced barrister with a good reputation in the legal immigration community. She is very friendly and bubbly person. She is very knowledgeable in terms of case law. She has an excellent rapport with our staff. She goes the extra mile for all our clients.'
Top Ranked in Chambers & Partners 2012 - 2020
Gita is a highly experienced barrister with a good reputation in the region. She has a broad immigration practice regularly appearing in the Court of Appeal and Administrative Court, and has notable expertise acting for vulnerable appellants. Acting exclusively for claimants, she attracts praise for her sensitive representation of vulnerable clients, including victims of trafficking and seriously ill asylum seekers. Areas of expertise include human rights law, asylum and public law issues.
Strengths: "She is very knowledgeable in terms of case law." "She has an excellent rapport with instructing solicitors. She goes the extra mile for all our clients, and always tries to get the best possible result for them." "Just very, very effective. It's her experience and know-how: she has a really good understanding of the dynamics of a hearing room and is very wise, very understated and gets the job done."
Previously practising in Family and Criminal law, Gita has specialised in immigration and asylum law since 2000.
Gita speaks Gujarati and understands Urdu.
Gita lectures as part of the Immigration Lecture Team and has covered topics such as:
- Family and private life under Article 8
- Challenging decisions of the AIT
- The new Immigration, Asylum & Nationality Act 2006
- The Refugee Qualification Directive
- The Statement of Changes under the Immigration Rules
- Immigration, detention and deportation - the current state of play
Interests Outside the Law:
Gita's interests include cooking, travelling, reading and writing.
Hide Full Profile
Notable Cases - Judicial Review Cases in the Administrative Court:
- [RLG] Mushtaq (R on the application of) v Entry Clearance Officer of Islamabad, Pakistan (ECO - procedural fairness) 
- Jabang (R on the Application of) v SSHD  EWHC 2478
- Ping on 3 Limited v SSHD  EWHC 2196
- EP & Another (R on the Application of) v SSHD  EWHC 2189
- Ahmed (R on the Application of) v SSHD  EWHC 2779
- Umar (R on the Application of) v SSHD  EWHC 2779
- Essomba (R on the Application of) v SSHD  EWHC 2300
Notable Cases - Court of Appeal Asylum and Human Rights Cases:
- TH Burma v SSHD  EWCA Civ 1521
- MF Sri Lanka v SSHD  EWCA Civ 915
- AK Bangladesh v SSHD  Civ 1586
- XZ China v SSHD  EWCA Civ 342
Notable Cases - Court of Appeal Immigration Cases:
- Ishtiaq v SSHD  EWCA Civ 386
- Il (Pakistan)  EWCA Civ 1413